I am currently a Chowla Research Fellow at Penn State, working with Bob Vaughan. Previously I was a PhD student supervised by John Friedlander at the University of Toronto. You may wish to view my CV. My primary interests are number theory, combinatorics and harmonic analysis, but I like a good problem from any branch of math. Outside of math I like baseball, snowboarding, golf, playing the guitar and video games. I am a fan of the Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Blue Jays.
I primary am interested in questions lying somewhere in the realm of analytic number theory, additive combinatorics and geometry. I have a particular fondness for questions about equidistribution. Below you can find my preprints and publications.
- The Additive Structure of Cartesian Products Spanning Few Distinct Distances. To appear in Combinatorica. arXiv
- (With R. C. Vaughan and R. Zhang) The Least Number with Prescribed Legendre Symbols. To appear in the Journal of Number Theory. arXiv
- Estimates for Character Sums with Various Convolutions. Submitted. arXiv
- (With B. Lund and O. Roche-Newton) On distinct perpendicular bisectors and pinned distances in finite fields. Finite Fields and Applications. arXiv
- Character sums over Bohr sets. Canadian Math. Bulletin. arXiv
- Capturing forms in dense subsets of finite fields. Acta Arith. 160 (2013), no. 3, 277-284. arXiv
- (With D. Panario and D. Thompson) Swan-like results for binomials and trinomials over finite fields of odd characteristic. Des. Codes Cryptogr. 61 (2011), no. 3, 273-283.
Iam currently teaching Math 110 (Techniques of Calculus) for PSU World Campus. In the fall of 2016 I taught MATH 141 (Calculus II). In the fall of 2015 I taught Math 231 (Vector Calculus I).
- Brandon Hanson
- Department of Mathematics, Penn State University
- McAllister Building
- University Park, PA
- b w h 5 3 3 9 "at" p s u "dot" e d u