Primary Research Interests
A list of current and former graduate students, my background, honors etc. are on my bio page.
- Statistical computing, primarily Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithms
- Models for spatial data: Gaussian random field models, Bayesian hierarchical models
- Complex computer models/computer experiments: statistical emulation and calibration
- Cross-disciplinary research in environmental sciences: climate science, disease modeling, ecology
Selected Papers (link to longer list of publications and google scholar references ) and current CV
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Applegate, P., and Pollard, D. (2016) Calibrating an ice sheet model using high-dimensional binary spatial data , Journal of the American Statistical Association, 111, 513, 27-72
- Goldstein, J., Haran, M., Simeonov, I., Fricks, J., and Chiaromonte, F. (2015) An attraction-repulsion point process model for respiratory syncytial virus infections Biometrics, 71, 2, pp 376--385 ( Winner of student paper competition at the Graybill/ENVR 2014 conference)
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration and the effect of data aggregation, Annals of Applied Statistics, 8, 2, pp 649--673. (Winner of the 2014 American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment Student Paper Competition)
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O.N. and Grenfell, B.T. (2014) Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, 63, 3, pp. 423–444.
- Katz, R.W., Craigmile, P.F., Guttorp, P., Haran, M., Sanso, B. and Stein, M.L. (2013) Uncertainty Analysis in Climate Change Assessments , Nature Climate Change, 3, 769–771 .
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2013), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
Software for this approach may be found here: ngspatial
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quaternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, in Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Springer-Verlag. bibtex
- Hughes, J.P., Haran, M., and Caragea, P.C. (2011), Autologistic models for binary data on a lattice , Environmetrics, 7, 857--871.
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte Carlo: Can we trust the third
significant figure? Statistical Science,
for consistent batch means estimator for MCMC standard errors as described in the paper: R
package on CRAN , R function
and C function
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
SMAC (Stochastic Modeling and Computing) Seminar Series
Haran, M. and Hunter, D.R. (2016) On Academic Mentoring Amstat News, September 2016.
STATS UNDERGRADS: information on scheduling appointments, undergrad program etc. (If you do not hear back from me, please email me again. I occasionally lose track of emails because ).
- Co-Editor: Bayesian Analysis (2016--2018)
- Associate editor: The American Statistician (2015--present). (Past) associate editor Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics (2010--2015); Biometrics (2009--2011); Bayesian Analysis (2010--2015)
- Schreyer Honors College adviser for Statistics and Honors College thesis adviser
- Chair of the American Statistical Association (ASA) Section on Risk Analysis 2013-2014
- Treasurer for the International Society for Bayesian Analysis ( ISBA ) 2014--2016
- Climate Science Related Roles:
- Co-leader for Uncertainty Quantification Group in the NSF network SCRiM (Sustainable Climate Risk Management), multi-institution network with Penn State as the hub
- PI on NSF-CDSE grant Statistical Methods for Ice Sheet Projections using Large Non-Gaussian Space-time Data Sets and Complex Computer Models, 7/01/2014--6/30/2017.
- Director of the Penn State Node of the NSF research network STATMOS , Statistical Methods for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences.
- Member of the ASA Advisory Committee on Climate Change Policy 2009--2014
- Co-Director of CLIMA Center for Climate Risk Management at Penn State.
- (Past) Chair of the Penn State Statistics Undergraduate Program: 2012--2016
- I co-organized the Workshop on
Environmetrics (ENVR 2012)
at North Carolina State University.
General articles on statistics: Statistics-at-large
Everything Else: NON-ACADEMIC