Ustad Amir Khan
"Amir Khan's music combined the massive dignity of the dhrupad with the ornate
vividness of khayal." --- Susheela Mishra in the "Great masters of
Ustad Amir Khan (1912-1974) was among the greatest and most
influential Hindustani vocalists of the twentieth century. To quote
Ustad Faiyaz Khan (from Susheela Mishra's article
), "One must play with a raga with a lover's passion. One must
learn to love it to pay court to it, like a cavalier, and then alone
can a musician tell the story of joy and grief; of laughter and
tears. Music must please and move." This is an apt description of
Ustad Amir Khan's music. Amir Khansahib had an intellectual's
approach to Hindustani music while always managing to bring out, with
great sensitivity, all the emotive aspects of a raag.
As is well known to insiders, much of the recordings of great
Hindustani musicians languishes in private collections. In recent
years, thanks to the internet and the generous efforts of people at
sawf.org and sarangi.info and numerous others on websites like
esnips.com, a large number of recordings are now freely available
online to music lovers. Unfortunately, these collections are often
hard to locate. I have attempted here to put together a list of
recordings by Ustad Amir Khan along with links to recordings
online. This is just a beginning; I hope that, over time, and with the
help of other fans of Amir Khansahib, I will be able to make this a
more comprehensive list so that these gems are easily accessible to
all music lovers who have access to the internet. Many links appear
and disappear in time; I would appreciate information regarding broken
links and any new links that may have appeared.
Musicography with links to online resources
If you know of others, please let me know the name along with (if
possible) information about where to find them. Many of the bandish
titles above are probably misspelled, especially the ones with
question marks, since I have relied almost entirely on guess work. If
you notice any mistakes on this page, please inform me, thanks.
- Abhogi "Laaj rakhi lee jo mori" on youtube
- Abhogi "Charan dhar aayo" on esnips.com
- Adana on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Adana "Muhammad Shah Rangile" (78 RPM) on youtube
- Ahir Bhairav: Vilambit khayal "Jago re bande" on youtube on esnips.com
- Ahir Bhairav: Chhota khayal: "Piya para been parama sukha chatura" on LP/tape recording titled Surmanjari. AK's composition.
- Ahir Bhairav: Chhota khayal
- Aiman (Yaman): on sarangi.info
- Aiman (Yaman) kalyan: on sarangi.info
- Amirkhani Kauns: Madhya laya "Paar karo" AK's composition.
- Asavari Todi on on Rajan Parrikar's site
- Bageshree: "Bahu guna kamna" on Rajan Parrikar's site and on LP/tape recording
- Bageshree: "Kaise kate rajni" (from the film Kshudito Pashan, with Protima Banerjee) on youtube
- Bageshrikanada: "Gore gore mukh par" on sarangi.info
- Bahar on esnips.com
- Bairagi: "Man sumarata" on sarangi.info
- Barwa on youtube and on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Basant Bahar: "Parana koyaliya kuka rahi" on youtube on sarangi.info
- Basant Mukhari: "Prabhu daata" on musicindiaonline.com and on esnips.com
- Bhatiyar: "Nisa dinana" on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Bhatiyar: "Barani na jaye" on youtube
- Bhimpalasi on youtube
- Bihag "Kaise sukh" on youtube on musicindiaonline.com
- Bilaskhani Todi: on sarangi.info
- Chandni Kedar Ye ri tu dhana dhana
- Chandrakaunsi: tarana on Patrick Moutal's website
- Charukeshi: "Laaj rakho tum more" on sarangi.info . AK's composition.
- Darbari: "Mori aalee, jab se bhanaka paree" (piya ke awan ki) on sarangi.info
- Darbari: "Tumari jay jay karta"
- Darbari: chhota khayal "Yare man biya biya" (Persian). AK's composition.
- Deshi with D.V. Paluskar: "Aaj gawat man mero" on youtube
- Gaud Malhar (short live recording) on youtube
- Gurjari Todi
- Hansdhwani vilambit: "Jaya maate" on youtube on sarangi.info
- Hansdhwani dhrut: tarana on sarangi.info
- Hemkalyan on esnips.com
- Hemkalyan on esnips.com
- Hindol Basant
- Jaijaiwanti on youtube and on esnips.com
- Jog: "O balma" on youtube on esnips.com
- Jog: tarana on esnips.com
- Jog: tarana (in Persian). AK's composition.
- Kafi Kanada Ab mori laagi
- Kalavati "Anmaani Piya So Rahat Hai"
- Janasanmohini: "Kaun jatan " on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Kaushikanada vilambit on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Kaushikanada dhrut on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Khamaj thumri "Piya ke aavan ke" on sarangi.info
- Komal Rishabh Asawari "Jagat Sapna" on youtube or on esnips.com . AK's composition.
- Lalit Vilambit khayal: "Tadapath hoon jaise" on sarangi.info
- Lalit Chhota khayal: "Tadapath hoon jaise" (second version) on LP/tape recording
- Lalit ("Jogiya mere ghar") in opening credits of the film "Raagini" on youtube
- Lalit ("Jogiya mere ghar") with a Farsee anthara added (perhaps his own composition) on youtube
- Lalit khayal: vilambit "Charan kaise aavu", dhrut: "Jogiya mere ghar aaye" on sarangi.info
- Madhukauns "Bairanbhai Rain" youtube and on esnips.com
- Malkauns: "Jinke man Raam" and "Aaj more ghar aali na balma" on youtube on sarangi.info
- Malkauns: tarana on youtube (with video)
- Malkauns: "Jinke mana raam" mehfil recording on sarangi.info
- Malkauns: "Lagi la manwa" live recording. AK's composition.
- Marukalyan on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Marwa Vilambit khayal "Jag bawra" on LP/tape recording and (poor quality recording) from a concert in Pune on youtube AK's composition (?)
- Marwa Vilambit khayal "Piya more anat des" and "Guru bin gyan na pave" on youtube.com
- Marwa chhota khayal "Guru bin gyan na pave". AK's composition
- Megh "Barkha ritu aaye" on sarangi.info
- Megh tarana on esnips.com
- Miyanmalhar "Karim naam" on esnips.com
- Miyanmalhar and Ramdasimalhar "Karim naam" on sarangi.info
- Multani vilambit "Jaako mana Allah" on sarangi.info
- Multani dhrut "Balma mohe tumso laagali preet" on sarangi.info
- Multani "Daya karo hey girdhara gopala" bhajan from the film Shabaab on R. Parrikar's website on sawf.org
- Nand youtube or on esnips (part 1) on esnips (part 2)
- Nat Bhairav: "Sumaranko" on esnips
- Pancham Malkauns bandish
- Priyakalyan (or Ramkalyan) on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music . AK's composition. He also created the raag.
- Priyakalyan "Sarmad gham-e ishq" Persian composition. (clip from an interview) AK's composition. He also created the raag.
- Puriya bandish title
- Puriya Dhanashree "Tori jay jay karta" on esnips.com
- Raagmala with Bismillah Khan Sur Malhar, Bageshree, Chandrakauns, Ramkali, Bhatiyar, Desh. From the film "Goonj Uthi Shehnai". on youtube.
- Rageshree "Beguna ko guna de" on youtube (with video) and Patrick Moutal's online collection (video) and on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Ramdasi Malhar Chhayee Badariya Kaari
- Ramkali on esnips.com on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Shahana on youtube
- Shree "Hari ke charana kamala nisadina sumarana re" on sarangi.info and on youtube
- Shuddh Kalyan "Karam karo" on youtube and "Mandara Bajo Re"
- Shuddh Kalyan tarana on esnips.com
- Shuddh Sarang
- Suhakanada on The Vijaya Parrikar Library of Indian Classical Music
- Suha tarana on youtube Suha sughrai
- Todi vilambit and madhya laya ("Man ki panchi") on esnips.com AK's composition for madhya laya.
- Todi vilambit ("Ja re ja pathikava" (Sadarang)) and madhya laya ("Man ki panchi") on esnips.com AK's composition for madhya laya.
- Todi tarana (short recording) on esnips.com
- Mian Ki Todi, All India Radio programme, vilambit khayal "Shagun Bicharo Bamna' and drut 'Garva Mai Sang Laagi'
- Yaman vilambit jhoomra on youtube (Kishori Ray's links) , continuation: also on youtube (Kishori Ray's links)
- Yaman kalyan "Kajra kaise daroon". AK's composition (?) and LIVE recording of Yaman Kalyan, Kalashree and Darbari (London) on youtube
I am grateful to Daibashish Gangopadhyay for corrections and additions to the above list. Bhuvanesh Bhatt also provided corrections.
Several of the recordings listed above are available online at these wonderful repositories of Hindustani music:
A short Films Division documentary on Ustad Amir Khan can be found here.
Perhaps the best website devoted to Ustad Amir Khan is one put together by John Campana and others at the University of Toronto: Amir Khan memorial website.
Return to music page
Return to home page