- Park, J., and Haran, M. (2018) A Function Emulation Approach for Intractable Distributions , Submitted. June 2018.
- Reich, B.J., and Haran, M. (2018) Precision maps for public health , Nature News and Views. February 2018.
- Goldstein, J., Park, J., Haran, M., Bjornstad, Liebhold, A. (2018) Quantifying Spatio-temporal Variation of Invasion Spread, submitted to the Proceedings of the Royal Society (B)
- Kelling, C., Korkmaz, G., Graif, C., and Haran, M. (2018) ``Combining Geographic and Social Proximity to Model Urban Domestic and Sexual Violence,'' submitted to KDD 18 (Knowledge and Data Discovery)
- Park, J. and Haran, M. (2018) Bayesian Inference in the Presence of Intractable Normalizing Functions accepted for publication in the Journal of the American Statistical Association
- Guan, Y. and Haran, M. (2018) A Computationally Efficient Projection-Based Approach for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models, to appear in the Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics
- Haran, M. (2018) Book Review of Efron and Hastie "Computer Age Statistical Inference" for Math Geosciences
- Park, J., Goldstein, J., Haran, M., and Ferrari, M. (2017) An Ensemble Approach to Predicting the Impact of Vaccination on Rotavirus Disease in Niger , Vaccine, 35, 43, Pages 5731-5946
- Haran, M., Chang, W., Keller, K., Nicholas, R., and Pollard, D. (2017) Statistics and the Future of the Antarctic Ice Sheet Chance, 30, 4, 37-44.
- Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt, E., Rajaratnam,B., Tingley, M. (2017) "Paleoclimate reconstruction: looking backwards to look forward," to appear in the Handbook of Environmental and Ecological Statistics.
- Russell, J., Hanks, E.M., Haran, M., and Hughes, D.P. (2017), A Spatially-Varying Stochastic Differential Equation Model for Animal Movement, to appear in the Annals of Applied Statistics
- Lee, B.S., Haran, M., and Keller, K. (2017) Decadal-scale detection time for potentially increasing Atlantic storm surges in a warming climate, to appear in Geophysical Research Letters
- Guan, Y., Haran, M., and Pollard, D. (2017) Inferring Ice Thickness from a Glacier Dynamics Model and Multiple Surface Datasets, to appear in Environmetrics
- Russell, J., Hanks, E.M., and Haran, M. (2016), Dynamic Models of Animal Movement with Spatial Point Process Interactions, Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 21(1):22-40.
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Applegate, P., and Pollard, D. (2016) Calibrating an ice sheet model using high-dimensional binary spatial data , Journal of the American Statistical Association, 111, 513, 27-72
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Applegate, P. and Pollard, D. (2016) Improving Ice Sheet Model Calibration Using Paleoclimate and Modern Data, Annals of Applied Statistics, 10, 4, 2274--2302.
- Pollard, D., Chang, W., Haran, M., Applegate, P., and DeConto,
R. (2016) Large Ensemble modeling of last deglacial retreat of the
West Antarctic Ice Sheet: Comparison of simple and advanced
statistical techniques, , Geoscientific Model
Development, 9 ,1697-1723.
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2015), "On discriminating between GCM forcing configurations using Bayesian reconstructions of Late-Holocene temperatures", Journal of Climate, 28,8264--8281.
- Goldstein, J., Haran, M., Simeonov, I., Fricks, J., and Chiaromonte, F. (2015) An attraction-repulsion point process model for respiratory syncytial virus infections Biometrics, 71, 2, pp 376--385 ( Winner of student paper competition at the Graybill/ENVR 2014 conference)
- Chang, W., Applegate, P., Haran, M. and Keller,
K. (2014) Probabilistic calibration
of a Greenland Ice Sheet model using spatially-resolved synthetic
observations: toward projections of ice mass loss with
uncertainties> , Geoscientific Model Development, 7 (2),
1933–1943, DOI:10.5194/gmd-7-1933-2014, also: Geoscientific Model
Development Discussion, 7, 1905-1931.
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration and the effect of data aggregation, Annals of Applied Statistics, 8, 2, pp 649--673. ( Winner of the 2014 American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment Student Paper Competition)
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) A composite likelihood approach to computer model calibration with high-dimensional spatial data, Statistica Sinica , 25 (2015), 243-259.
- Tibbits, M.M., Groendyke, C., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2014) Automated Factor Slice Sampling, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 23, 2, 543.
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O.N. and Grenfell, B.T. (2014) Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, 63, 3, pp. 423–444.
- Katz, R.W., Craigmile, P.F., Guttorp, P., Haran, M., Sanso, B. and Stein, M.L. (2013) Uncertainty Analysis in Climate Change Assessments , Nature Climate Change, 3, 769–771 .
- Olson, R., Sriver, R., Chang, W., Haran, M., Urban, N.M., Keller, K. (2013) Uncertainty in climate sensitivity estimates due to random realizations of unresolved climate noise, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 118 (10), 4348-4358.
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2013), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
- Bao, L., Fricks, J., and Haran, M. (2012) Discussion of Bayesian
Spatio-Dynamic Modeling in Cell Motility Studies: Learning Nonlinear
Taxic Fields Guiding Immune Response, Journal of the American
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2012)
Inferring likelihoods and climate system characteristics from climate
models and multiple tracers , Environmetrics, 23, 24, 345--362.
A lecture I gave at Microsoft Research about this topic (2012)
- Olson, R., Sriver, R., Goes, M., Urban, N.M., Matthews, H.D., Haran, M., and Keller, K. (2012) A climate sensitivity estimate using Bayesian fusion of instrumental observations and an Earth System model, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 117, D4, 1984--2012.
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quaternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Recta, V., Haran, M., and Rosenberger, J.L. (2012)
A two-stage model for incidence and prevalence in point-level spatial count data , Environmetrics, 23, 2, 162--174. bibtex
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., and Ferrari, M. (2012) A Compartmental Model for Meningitis: Separating Transmission from Climate Effects on Disease Incidence > Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 2012, 17, 3, 395--416.
- Haran, M. and Tierney, L. (2012) On automating Markov chain Monte Carlo for a class of spatial models
- Hughes, J.P., Haran, M., and Caragea, P.C. (2011), Autologistic models for binary data on a lattice , Environmetrics, 7, 857--871.
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., Terando, A.J. and Keller, K. (2011) Climate Projections Using Bayesian Model Averaging and Space-Time Dependence. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 16, 4, pp. 606--628.
- Tibbits, M.M., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2011)
Parallel multivariate slice sampling , Statistics and Computing 21, 3, 415--430.
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Chapman and Hall/CRC, pp 449--473. bibtex
- Haran, M. and Urban, N. (2010), Discussion of McShane and Wyner ``A
statistical analysis of multiple temperature proxies: are
reconstructions of surface temperatures over the last 1000 years
reliable? Annals of Applied Statistics. See all the discussions and the rejoinder here
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., and Goes, M. (2010)
Computer model calibration with multivariate spatial output , in "Frontiers of Statistical Decision Making and Bayesian Analysis", eds. M-H. Chen et al., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp. 168--184. bibtex
- Goes, M., Urban, N., Olson, R., Haran, M., and Keller, K. (2010)
The skill of different ocean tracers in reducing uncertainties about projections of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation , Journal of Geophysical Research--Oceans, in press bibtex
- Haran, M., Bhat, K.S., Molineros, J, and De Wolf, E. (2009)
Estimating the risk of a crop epidemic from coincident spatiotemporal processes , Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 1085-7117. bibtex
- Yang, T., Teng, H., and Haran, M. (2009) The impacts of social capital on infant mortalities in the U.S.: a spatial investigation Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, 2, 3, 211--227.
- Yang, T., Jensen, L., and Haran, M. (2009) Social Capital and
Human Mortality: Explaining the Rural Paradox with County-Level Mortality
Data, accepted for publication in Rural Sociology.
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte
Carlo: Can we trust the third significant figure?
Statistical Science, 23,250--260. bibtex
Code that implements the consistent batch means
procedure for MCMC standard errors as described in the paper: R function
and C function
for consistent batch means
- Yang, T., Jensen, L., and Haran, M. (2008) Context and death: A spatial investigation of the impacts of social capital and natural amenities on mortality in the U.S. counties, refereed discussion paper, Proceedings of the Population Association of America.
- Haran, M., Karr,A.F., Last,M., Orso,A. Porter,A., Sanil, A.P. and Fouche, S. (2007) Techniques for Classifying Executions of Deployed Software to Support Software Engineering Tasks, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering , 33,5:287-304. bibtex
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
- Haran, M., Karr, A.F., Orso, A., Porter, A. and Sanil, A.P. (2005) Applying Classification Techniques to
Remotely-Collected Program Execution Data in ESEC/FSE-13: Proceedings of the 10th European software engineering conference held jointly with 13th ACM SIGSOFT international symposium on Foundations of software engineering. bibtex
- Haran, M. (2003) Efficient Perfect and MCMC Sampling Methods for Bayesian Spatial and Components of Variance Models, Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Haran, M.,
Hodges, J.S., and
Carlin, B.P., (2003)
Accelerating computation in Markov random field models for spatial
data via structured MCMC,, Journal of Comp. and
Graph. Statistics , 12, 249-264. bibtex
- Haran, M.,
Carlin, B.P., Adgate, J.L., Ramachandran, G., Waller, L.A.,
and Gelfand, A.E.,
Bayes models for relating particulate matter exposure measures,,
Case Studies in Bayesian Statistics, Volume VI, eds. C.Gatsonis, et
al., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2002. bibtex
Edited Volumes/Special Issues
Return to home page
- Modern Statistical Methods in Ecology , Statistical Methodology Special Issue , Edited by Peter F. Craigmile and Murali Haran. Volume 17, Pages 1-160, March 2014.
- Special Issue on Computer Models and Spatial Statistics in Environmental Science, Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics , Edited by Brian J. Reich and Murali Haran. Volume 16, Issue 4, December 2011.